Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tip of the Day


If you don't already own a pair of cleat covers, put them on your Christmas list. They cost less than $25.00 and have saved me over $100.00 in the last two years.

How do you ask?

Before I bought my first set of cleat covers, I was buying two sets of cleats a year at a cost of $60.00 due to the cleats wearing out from the constant abrasion of walking on pavement and gravel etc. I would also be walking off the side of the road to relieve the old bladder and getting all sorts of crap stuck in my cleats especially if the ground was wet. I'd hop back on my bike and sure enough the float in my pedals was not working properly from all the grit stuck in the cleat, wearing them out prematurely and putting me at risk of injury on a long ride. I knew there had to be a better way.

Enter Kool Kover cleat covers, in my case Shimano SPD SL covers retailing for $25.00 or so at your LBS. Since I started using the cleat covers my current set of cleats have lasted me two full years and although they are ready to replace now, I saved $120.00 over 2 years. That buys a lot of espresso at the coffee stop and a few refreshments after the ride as well.

More importantly though, I have more traction when walking in my cycling shoes, my cleats always perform flawlessly in the pedals and they release when I need them to without incident.

It's the best $25.00 I've ever spent when it comes to benefit for the buck.

Ride Hard
Ride Strong
Ride Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment